We ensure that payments are safe at point of sale
Interac Debit for Secure Businesses
Interac Debit security features
We use EMV® chip processing to store and process data securely. That makes it nearly impossible to create counterfeit cards and protects consumers against fraudulent activity, including skimming, transaction repay types of fraud and tactics like electronic pickpocketing.
- Secure chip and PIN processing
- Real-time payment from the cardholder’s account
- Card must be present at point-of-sale
- The number on the front of the Interac® debit card is just an identifier, not an account number.
- Interac Zero Liability Policy means cardholders are protected and will be reimbursed by their bank or credit union for fraudulent transactions
Additional Interac Flash security features
Interac Flash® and Interac® Debit on mobile are faster and more convenient than traditional chip and PIN transactions for everyday purchases – and just as secure, thanks in part to transaction limits:
- A single card-based contactless transaction cannot exceed $100
- Cumulative spend limits set by banks and credit unions
When the cumulative spend limit is reached, the user is prompted to insert their card and enter their PIN to complete the transaction. This validates them as the legitimate cardholder and resets the limits.