Merchant Complaints relating to the Code of Conduct for the Credit and Debit Card Industry in Canada
Interac Corp. abides by the Code of Conduct for the Credit and Debit Card Industry in Canada (the Code of Conduct) overseen by the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC). If you have a complaint pertaining to the Code of Conduct, please read the following instructions.
If you’re a merchant or a prospective merchant and your question is related to the agreement or statement between you and your acquirer or payment processor, please contact them directly.
If after contacting your acquirer or payment processor, your inquiry has not been resolved, we invite you to choose from the following options:
- Submit the Merchant Complaint Submission Form below
- Call our toll-free number at 1-855-789-2979 or at 416-362-8550
- Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), if you are unable to complete this form and require assistance, we’re happy to help you by telephone. Call us at 416-362-8550 or toll-free at 1-855-789-2979.
Following receipt of your complaint we will:
- Acknowledge receipt of your complaint within five (5) business days.
- Provide our final decision in writing within forty-five (45) days of receiving the merchant complaint, along with:
- A summary of the complaint
- The final result of the investigation
- Explanation of the final decision
- Information on how to further escalate your complaint in the event of an unsatisfactory outcome
If we cannot provide a response to you within 45 days you will be informed of the delay, the reason for the delay and the expected response time.
To assist us in reviewing your complaint please provide the following in the form provided below:
- A summary of your concerns
- Details, such as the name of the person you were dealing with, the date the concern occurred, date spoken to PCNO (Payment Card Network Operator), acquirer or representative
- Copies of any supporting documentation (i.e. agreements, statements, correspondence from acquirer or PCNO)
Nothing restricts you from directly filing a complaint with the FCAC to investigate non-compliance with the Code of Conduct. FCAC can be reached via:
Mail: Financial Consumer Agency of Canada, 6th Floor, Enterprise Building, 427 Laurier Ave. West, Ottawa, ON K1R 1B9
FCAC is not a dispute-resolution agency for consumers in their individual dealings with payment card network operators or acquirers.
Please note that the information being submitted may be shared with your PCNO, acquirer, processor, financial institution and/or the FCAC in order to assist us in responding to your inquiry.