There are two classes of Interac Association members:
- Direct Connectors are members who connect directly to the Inter-Member Network (IMN) to provide Interac Cash and Interac Debit services. Each Director Connector maintains a physical network connection to the IMN, which allows them to connect to each other through a private TCP/IP telecommunications network.
- Indirect Connectors are members who connect through a Direct Connector to the Inter-Member Network.
Interac Association members may act as:
- Issuers are financial institutions who maintain demand accounts and issue debit cards to their clients to access Interac services. At present, financial institutions, money market mutual funds and Insurance companies are eligible to become issuers. See our current Issuer list.
- Acquirers operate card-accepting devices, such as ABMs or Interac Debit terminals at the Point-of-Sale, which capture and transmit to the Issuer relevant data, needed to undertake a transaction. See our current Acquirer list.
- Connection service providers (CSPs) are Direct Connectors who provide access for Indirect Connectors to the Inter-Member Network.
- Settlement agents settle the financial obligations of other members through the Canadian Payments Association's Automated Clearing Settlement System.